If you are still blogging on the .wordpress or .blogspot domain name. I’m sorry, you are 10 years behind the world and that is a crime on it’s own. Godaddy and a few other domain name sellers has made domain so cheap and affordable. Godaddy (of course, best for Blogger and .Wordpress platforms) recently sold domain names for as cheap as $9 which I believe is a way below your disposal. In 2014 any serious blogger should be hosting his/her blog on a custom domain name.
5 Reasons Why I will Encourage you to Host your Blog on your Domain Name
Below are some reasons why I feel you should upgrade to a top level domain name.
- Attract me: I am topping my own list because of how valuable I am to your website. You can see me as anything but for now I want you to see me as an advertiser. We all need some of those shiny papers right? Just how much will your .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com be appealing to me? If you are running your blog on a free sub-domain name it is often difficult to impress advertisers except in a case where you boast of massive traffic or good social media coverage.
- Bragging Rights: As long as you are blogging on a free sub-domain it, remains the property of your blog host. To properly represent your business online it is more appropriate and professional to use a custom domain name (e.g. www.yourdomain.com).
- Branding: Hosting your blog on your domain means that you can develop and promote your own brand using your blog. You can make your blog headings similar to your website.
- Search Engine Coverage: When it all boils down to search engine optimization (SEO) and advertising, it is totally indispensable to ‘own’ your own blog because you will be advertising and optimizing your own domain and your own brand. It is also important you choose domain name that conatian your keyword. This will increase your chances to be discovered on search engines.
- It is a Crime: I know how much you wished domain names are free. Too bad, wishes are not horses. At $10/month you can get a top level domain name this days which really makes me feel bad about the idea of sticking to a free sub-domain name when you intend making over $100/month on your blog. Isn’t that criminal?
Choosing a Custom Domain Name
With that being said, lets look at some tips you should consider while choosing your custom domain name:
– Choose a domain name that contain your blog keyword.
– If you have an offline business, make sure your domain name contain the name of your offline business or consider changing the name of your offline business.
– Use names that are search engine friendly. Example of such names is www.beauty-saloon-aba.com. This kind of website will always pop up each time someone is looking for ‘beauty saloon in aba’ on a search engine.
– Make your domain name human friendly. www.beauty-saloon-aba.com will often prove difficult for humans to remember. Try using something like www.beautysaloonaba.com. This way, it is both search engine and human friendly.