Oxwall 1.7.2 is finally here. So, everyone can put an end to the
. This version arrived just in time and we want you to know what Oxwall did differently this term and how to upgrade your platform without problems.
Oxwall announced 1.7.2 testers version
on the 18th of this month and followed it up with the main release
only a week later.
Why you need to update your platform
Whenever a new version of Oxwall is rolled out, there is always a thought of whether the update is worth the stress. Sometimes they are, other times they are not. At the end, it all boils down to the idea behind your social networking software. “Does this update affect the basic features of my site?” “Will the new release affect my users experience?” are some of the few questions you ask yourself.
We will try and help you answer some of those questions and hopefully give you a good enough reason to update or NOT to update your platform.
Normally, every Oxwall platform update comes with a lot of bugs fixes from the previous version and latest security patch. If this isn’t reason enough to update your platform, then consider the improved core files and new features added to the platform. We will take a look at some of them below:
New Avatar system
Some basic features of Oxwall has been begging to be overhauled, the Avatar system plugin is one of those features. The system plugin started life from the day 1 of Oxwall and has received no attention whatsoever from the developers until now. However, Oxwall has completed a total overhaul on how the plugin works this term.
In previous version, clicking on the change avatar link from your profile page takes you to a page where you can upload an image and crop it to a specific size before hitting the Apply Crop button. In 1.7.2 clicking the same button from your profile page will simply pop up a nice box where you can upload an image or choose pictures from your existing images. The crop is done in the same window without redirecting to a different page.
New Moderation Tools
The flagging feature on your site has finally being put to an effective use in Oxwall 1.7.2. The flagging system plugin allows your website users to flag contents they find abusive on offending. The new moderation tools page in your admin area will help you review contents that has been flagged by users and moderate them properly.
Message Plugin now has Text Formatting Feature
The messaging plugin has been improved this time to allow your users to format their messages properly; your users can now bold, italize, underline or link a particular word or line of words using the formatting tools right in their message box.
Other added features
- Option for admin/moderator to list the reason for the user suspension, which will be send to users’ email address. – System Plugin
- Option for suspended users to delete their profiles from the site. – System Plugin
- Button “Mail notifications” in the Console for quicker access. – System Plugin
- Error message to be displayed when a user changes password, but enters a wrong value during password confirmation. – System Plugin
- Correct https support for operation of individual SSL pages. – System Plugin
- Formatting buttons, including bold, italic, underline, and link. – Message Plugin
- Option to perform group actions with conversations. – Message Plugin
- Attachment indicator for a conversation in the list, if it includes at least one attachment inside. – Message Plugin
- Option “Allow to send messages once in” for admin to prevent receiving spam sent by bots. – Message Plugin
- Social sharing buttons on the “Photo view” page, if the Social Sharing plugin is installed. – Photo Plugin
- Option to include hashtags for photos in any language. – Photo Plugin
- Added support of thumbnail grabbing for embed videos from Facebook – Video Plugin
How to Update you Platform
There are two way to update your platform: Manual & automatic update.
Note: Make sure to backup your files and deactivate all plugins before updating your platform, if you want to be on the safer side. Or contact us here to have our developers do it for you at a fair amount.
The automatic update can be done directly from your admin area. Login from
and click on the update platform
link on your admin dashboard. You will be prompted to confirm you want to update to 1.7.2, click Yes
. Enter your FTP details and complete the step by clicking the Enter
To update your platform manually, download Oxwall update pack 1.7.2 from the software download page and follow the steps below.
Did you get the answer you were searching for?
Save hours of searching online or wasting money testing unnecessary plugins, get in touch with me and let's discuss a suitable plan for your project. Best thing about this service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to an expereinced Oxwall/Skadate developer.
Get Answers for Free!
Ask a question related to this topic and get immediate answers from other community members in 48hrs or less. Contribute by answering members questions. Ask Question
Whether it's a custom plugin, theme or dedicated support needed to get you started on your project, get professional 24/7 support tailored to your need. Get in Touch
Or just leave a comment...
- Upload the Oxwall update pack 1.7.2 zip file to your server where Oxwall is installed.
- Unpack/Extract the content on the zip file (overwrite existing old files).
Important Note: Updating your platform will override any changes you have made to the core files. If you have been using our custom mods, check back for updated versions of the mod.
When update is completed, re-activate your plugins and update your theme and plugins.